Monday, June 15, 2009

SATURDAY at Bonnaroo 2009

By Saturday, David was feeling a little uncomfortable and I was getting a little grumpy from lack of sleep, but still intent on having a good time.

We got cleaned up in a trailer full of sinks, which felt incredibly nice. With no intention of putting shampoo in my hair and trying to rinse in such a small sink, I got as much of my head wet as possible and gave my hair a good rinse.

Saturday's weather was really nice. Hot, but nice.

We sat on the porch and played some WAR, or maybe that was Friday... anyway we ate some breakfast. Mine consisted of rice cakes and peanut butter. I noticed when putting them away that the ink on the bag got melty and stained my leg. Jealous of the other girls' body paint (which I am investing in for '10) I rubbed a peace sign on my shoulder, a faint hint of which is still present today.

Jimmy Buffett at Which Stage was our first show for the day. I really liked it, and I didn't think I would.

After the show we had a break and were trying to take it a bit easier after a busy day on Friday, so we ate at the waste-free Planet Roo cafe. I had veggie stir fry and tried tofu for the first time. Yum!

It looked like it was going to rain so we caught the end of "Beautiful Losers," a documentary about commercial artists from what I could gather, at the Bonnaroo Cinema Tent... then we caught the beginning of Lebowski Fest before heading out. (Dudemobile.)

The nearby line for the Daily Show Allstars at Comedy "Sweet" was loooong.

David chose Bon Iver for an afternoon nap, and I basked in the sun and kept us well-misted, which I can guess is the origin of my second layer of sunburn...

We tried to catch Of Montreal at This Tent, but I'm told it's a better live experience if you can see. I couldn't because everyone in front of me was 6 feet tall or taller it seemed, so I headed to Jenny Lewis where the crowd was much more laid back. I wanted to see her anyway.

Afterward, I bought an awesome tye-dyed skirt from TyeDye Mary and went back to Of Montreal to secure my place for The Decemberists. David had opted for Wilco, and despite the fact that both he and Justin told me they were no good live, I was adamant about seeing them play "Hazards of Love," a sort of rock-opera that I happen to be in love with.

They played the whole thing. IT. WAS. ORGASMIC. My favorite show throughout the whole festival. Unfortunately, I had to leave just as they came out for an encore consisting of older songs I probably would have liked, because David was waiting at What Stage with a great spot for The Boss.

I enjoyed Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band although I feel embarrassed to say I wasn't familiar with most of his work. He played Santa Claus is Coming to Town as a request. In June, which I thought was funny.

I laid down during most of the show because I was so tired at that point, and became a little grumpy when David woke me up to keep me from getting kicked in the head from passersby in the dark. That made him grumpy, and no one was all that excited afterward. I did like The Boss by the way, and I'm proud to have seen an American legend live once in my lifetime.

The plan was to eat and catch Trent Reznor's last U.S. show (Nine Inch Nails). We did that, but David and I were in a pseudo-fight by that point and I was so upset I actually cried a little at Bonnaroo. It felt unnatural in such a happy place.

After a few songs we sensed the crowd was not something we wanted to be a part of, and David made it up to me by conquering his fear of heights and joining me on the ferris wheel. It was neat seeing the vast layout of the farm, which I now miss terribly. The people in our basket, or whatever you call it, seemed a little disappointed that we didn't smoke weed.

After that we called it a night.

No comments: