Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Couch to 5K - Week 1

I successfully completed the Couch to 5K Week 1 last week and attempted to start Week 2 yesterday.

During week one, I walked at a 3.5 pace for a 5-minute warm-up then completed 8 rotations of 60 seconds jogging at 5.0 and 90 seconds walking at 3.5. Cool down was about 6 minutes of 3.5, then 3.0, then 2.5 until I stopped. I used the podcast to make timing easier.

I didn't have much of a problem until the last two rotations each time, and it obviously got better each day that I ran - Monday, then Wednesday, then Saturday. I felt accomplished. I had more energy.

Yesterday, Monday, I tried Day 1 of Week 2.

Week 2 is only a slight step up, so I'm a little embarrassed I wasn't ready for it. After I was through, I almost thought I could puke I was so beat. My lungs burned and I was dizzy and red in the face... Wheezing.

Still, I completed the entire podcast from Day 1 - 5 minute walking at 3.5 to warm up, then 6 intervals of 90 second jogging at 5.0, two-minute walking at 3.5, then another 6 minute cooldown.

I know you're supposed to push yourself, so I did, and I know when you're out of shape that it hurts, but it shouldn't have been that bad should it? It took me nearly an hour to regain composure and I really did think I might pass out.

It probably didn't help that I already had some breathing issues from terrible allergies as of late, but does anyone have any advice?

I'm thinking maybe I should double my workout time and try the program at my own pace. You know, do week 1 for another week, and then spend two weeks on week 2 before moving on.

I do know that I don't want to give up.

I've also started doing yoga a little bit again, and I have been eating smaller portions and less junk. I've had a lot less soda and even choked down a diet. I've also been purposely trying to push water down my throat. I don't drink enough water.

I know weight fluctuates around 2 pounds per day. I'm holding at a steady 167-168.5. That's at least 1.5-3 pounds gone in a week. I'm already feeling a difference though, feeling tighter and better about myself.

Wish me luck!

No comments: