Monday, February 22, 2010

The Flaming Lips to Perform "Dark Side of the Moon"

It's almost been a month since Lips frontman Wayne Coyne revealed to Spinner that he and the band would be at Bonnaroo 2010 playing a late night set of their own stuff (including new release "Embryonic") and then covering Pink Floyd's legendary "Dark Side of the Moon."

I'm listening to the "Money" cover as I write this, via Grooveshark. I'm not sure it's my bag, but The Flaming Lips have definitely put their own trippy twist on an old classic, that's for sure. I have a feeling, though, that regardless of how I end up feel about the covers, the Lips' Bonnaroo set will be one not to miss.

David saw their 2007 set, during the soundcheck for which they came out and played Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" as a special treat for everyone who came early for a good spot.

The Flaming Lips' live show, on top of being a circus of tangible happiness, is special to me, because it was the setting for the moment I realized I loved my boyfriend, as cheesy as that may be. I had gone to see them at the Pageant with two of my fellow roo'ers only knowing about two songs, one of which was Oklahoma's state rock song, "Do You Realize?" Among the people wearing Santa costumes and antennae, it would have been easy to feel out of place, but I was in my own little world enjoying it moment my moment. Suddenly, "Do You Realize" hit and the cannons on stage blasted us with confetti - I was instantly overwhelmed with love as I squeezed David's hand and grinned ear to ear. It was hands down one of the happiest moments of my life.

Since the show, I've come away a big fan, and even chose the Lips as one of my first weeks of study on Music Togetherness. (Check the list under "Artists Covered" to see what everyone thought.)

Here is a playlist with some of my favorite tracks:

No comments: