Thursday, June 3, 2010

7 Days to Go: Weather Fun

There are 7 days left in my Bonnaroo countdown and I'm reminiscing about last year in prep for this year. One thing on my mind, it's been storming a lot lately.

Nashville flooded weeks ago as you know, and although Manchester was spared the mess Nashville got, the Weather.com 10-day forecast isn't showing great things for Thursday and Friday, June 10-11, this year. The good news - Saturday's supposed to be sunny. Although I'm keeping my fingers crossed, we should be prepared for a repeat of last year. Just in case.

Maybe that half naked guy covered in mud acting like a raptor will be back. One can only hope.

Last year the weather wasn't bad when we left the house at 6 a.m. on Thursday. It still wasn't that bad when we got to Manchester around noon, but it started looking pretty blah as the afternoon wore on, as did the line.

Here we are, under a dreary sky thinking the line was drawing to a close. I think we still had an hour or two left at this point, but much better than the total 8+ hours we waited to get in. This year we're leaving at midnight - or as soon as it turns Thursday, June 10 - to cut that down a little. I'd like to settle in and not miss an awesome opening day.

So that day, we got in just in time to put our tent up in the dark, in BFE (Camp Andrew Clark - hey, that rhymes), and then it started sprinkling. As we walked toward Centeroo, we heard screaming and saw a wall of water coming at us just in time to duck under a not-yet-functioning misting tent along Main Street. I came prepared, as did a couple of volunteers on a Gator that passed David a poncho. Here I am keeping dry.

Passion Pit was the first show I saw that night, and my first ever at Bonnaroo, and it was FABULOUS. The rain wasn't ideal, but it sure didn't ruin anything, and that's what I'm thinking going into this year. It would be awesome if the forecast changed or the weather was wrong and we got a four-day partly sunny weekend, but if not, it'll still be the utopia I know and love - just a little more wet.

No comments: