Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Catching up

So I didn't realize how much I needed to do before going on vacation, so I kind of slipped on the countdown I had planned. Here's playing catch up, and then we'll get to the real stuff before we leave tomorrow night.

5. Centeroo Eats - Many people take their own food in coolers and eat at their campsites throughout the weekend. We packed food last year, but were camped so far from Centeroo we lived on backpack snacks and didn't miss a minute of music. We weren't that hungry because it was so hot, and ended up buying one meal a day from the vendors. We ate pizza, quesadillas, and a grilled veggie burrito, but my favorite was tofu stir fry at the no-waste Planet Roo Cafe. This year, I'm packing snacks, but planning on getting my one meal per day in Centeroo. What's your favorite thing to eat at Bonnaroo?

4. Mudhole at Girl Talk and the Raptor - Because of the rain, mud was a bit of a problem in some places in Centeroo last year. One guy, I don't know what he was on, dove into the mud early Friday and was walking around making raptor sounds. I wasn't quick enough to get a photo but I saw on Inforoo that this guy does the same thing every year. With all the rain in the forecast, he could be out in full force this year. That night, we arrived at the Girl Talk show late and saw a gap in the crowd. As we walked toward it, we realized there was a giant mud pit there. Apparently no one else realized it, because we watched person after person faceplant in the poop-mud. It was hilarious.

3. Relaxing in the Sun - It's important to remember to pace yourself at these festivals. Don't be afraid to find a comfy spot at a show and lay back and relax. That's what we did during Bon Iver last year, and it was nice. One thing though - don't forget to reapply sunscreen because that hot Tennessee sun will scorch your skin if you don't. My shoulders will probably never fully recover.

2. The Decemberists - That show was my highlight last year. I don't have a whole lot else to say, but I wanted to share that.

1. Skanky Hair Sunday - There are supposed to be $7 showers available to festivalgoers, but we never saw any last year. We used a trailer full of sinks to wash up, but they were so small there is no way I could have washed my hair, but I did get to freshen up each day, which was nice. My hair did get gross by the end of the weekend but I just tied it up and it didn't bother me like it bothers some other people. Does not having access to a shower for four days freak you out?

No comments: